Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 9

Day 9, October 7: Cheyenne Wilson

Okay. Okay. So I know I skipped a day. It wasn't on purpose, it was just a busy day so I kind of forgot. I love doing this because it makes me think beyond myself and it also makes me think about the past and who've I've become because of this past. I'll try to do two people in the next few days.

But for today, only one person has been on my mind. Cheyenne Wilson. Look out world, Cheyenne is officially 18 years old. Happy birthday young lady, you are my most favorite 18 year old in the world.

I met Cheyenne Wilson when I first moved to Chicago. At the time, she was a gangly, smart mouthed (sorry hun) almost 12 year old. I was immediately enamored with this young lady. Yes, she was a little bit of a smart mouth, but I could see beyond the surface and saw what a beautiful, bright, and kind-hearted kid she was. Over the next couple years, we built a long-lasting relationship.  She is a huge reason a piece of my heart will always be in Chicago. It's hard to describe Cheyenne. Let's just say she is one of the most caring, kind hearted teenagers I have ever met (sorry if you lost some street cred just now kiddo). She is also one of the most stubborn, hard headed kids I've ever met too (there, is that better?). I deeply admire the strength that she has shown in the face of some adversity and hard times that she has had to endure in the past few years. I know that she is strong beyond her years and a lot stronger than I was at her age. She is also a very wise, mature young lady.

I cannot even tell the world how much I love her. So much that I think of her like my other daughter. I have offered her the chance to move to Arkansas and live with us, but she hasn't taken me up on it, yet...(the offer will always be here!)

Cheyenne, thank you for being you. That is enough. You are a light to all around you. I am a better person for having met you. I am so, so proud of the young lady you are becoming. I BELIEVE in you. I know without a doubt that God has big plans for you. I cannot wait to see where He leads you. I pray for you daily, young lady. Praise God for bringing you into this world 18 years ago.

Cheyenne Wilson is definitely one of the 30 people that have influenced my life the most.

1 comment: