Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Mini-Me?

Day 26. Emma Grace McConnell.


My beautiful niece, Emma Grace is the star of this blog today. Emma has often been called the mini-version of me. Unfortunately, it's mainly because she has a short temper! Yes, she has been known to throw a few blows her sister's way (just like I did a select few times at Leanne) but she also has the most gentle, loving heart. Emma is truly a blessing from God. I love her sweet, loud (very loud) voice and her silly personality. I love the way she loves her little brother and cherishes her big sister. I love that she is always quick to apologize and quick to forgive. Like I said, she is truly a blessing from God.

Emma is five years old, going on thirteen. I have often seen myself in her these last few years. She has quite the sweet tooth like her aunt and she is also feisty like her aunt...used to be, right? I'll never forget the day I found out Leanne was pregnant with Emma. I was at camp and drove all the way home to be there! I'll also never forget when she was born and I got to hold her in my arms. Although she was my second niece, I knew there was something special about her from the moment she was born. Sadly, I'll never forget falling to me knees when I got the phone call that she was being rushed to the hospital when she was a baby. Those minutes I waited to hear if she was going to be alright was one of the scariest moments of my life. Thankfully, it was a minor issue and Emma is healthy and happy today.

One of my most favorite memories was picking Emma up from daycare when she was just three years old. I got to surprise her and I'll never forget her words when she saw me, "That's my Shasta!!" She ran to me and chattered without stopping all the way back to the car and all the way home. She truly is a joy to be around.

Emma is now a big kindergartener. I can't believe she is in school now and before we know it, her and Kyleigh will be teens and then graduating. Time is flying and I don't get to see them near as much as I would like.

Emma Grace. I love that people call you the mini-me. I love your joyful, loud, and inquisitive mind. You are loved by so, so many people...including me. Thank you for being my niece. Thank you for coming into our lives and really helping your mom through some difficult times. You are destined for great things, big things!

Emma is undeniably one of my favorite people on earth. I am blessed to have the best nieces and nephews on this planet. Emma ranks pretty high up there on my list of the 30 most influential people in my first 30 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment