Tuesday, October 15, 2013

My Mamaw is Better Than Yours!

Day 16. Delta Jackson (aka Mamaw)

My Mamaw is better than yours! I have the best and coolest grandmother in the world. In fact, she is so cool that at 75 years old, she texts from her cell phone (ok so it's a flip phone but it's still a cell!). She sent me a text this morning (at 647 am...yikes!)  that said "Have a happy day. Love you."  What better way to start your morning than for someone you adore and admire to send you a good morning text?

Like I said, I adore and admire my mamaw. She is the strongest, hardest working woman I have ever met. As I mentioned in a previous blog, my father is the hardest working man I know. He definitely got his work ethic from my mamaw (and my papaw who is in his 80s and still farms). Mamaw not only has a ranch, but she also has the huge garden that she plants every year. We get the best produce and salsa (YUMMY!) from her. She is old school, for sure, so she and my mom are the best cooks I've ever been around. Jeremy is always telling me that I need to "go stay with Mamaw for awhile and learn some of her skills." Wow! Okay, if I didn't love and admire my Mamaw so much I'd take that as an insult! But, he is right. She is a great cook and can also can, sew, garden, clean (SPOTLESS), hunt, farm...she can do it all! Oh, and she also shares in my love (and sometimes disdain) of the razorbacks, which is pretty cool too!

I also admire my Mamaw for the woman that she is. She loves Jesus and she loves her family. We don't always see eye to eye (she's got some old school in her) but I admire her for always being upfront and honest about her beliefs and values. I admire her for her strength and dignity.

Mamaw and I can sit and talk for hours. This summer, I got the chance (for the first time in probably a decade) to spend the night at her house. I had such a blast hanging out over a glass of wine and good conversation. I watched her as she rocked and sang my daughter to sleep that night and praised God for such a beautiful sight. I realized, for the millionth time, how blessed I am to have her as my grandmother/mamaw.

Over the years, I have received and cherished so many handwritten letters from her. Like I wrote about my daddy, I have never, ever doubted her love for me and my siblings. I also see how much she loves Isabel and am so thankful for the time she gets to spend with her...I only wish it could be more. I think as we get older (and especially as we become parents ourselves) we began to see how awesome our parents and grandparents really are. And we begin to see just how blessed we have been. I am no exception to this. I know how blessed i've been. I know that my mamaw is better than yours. Okay, so maybe you've got a great grandma too...if you do, hug them a little tighter, okay? If you do, sit over a glass of wine (or a cup of joe) and reminisce with them. Time is flying and I know that I won't have her forever. I think I'll go call her now...reminder her that I love her and that I admire her for the woman that she is to the world and especially to our family.

Thank you, Mamaw, for always loving me. Thank you for being my role model and for always being one of my biggest supporters. Thank you for influencing me in so many ways I cannot even begin to list. You are my heart. I love you!

 Delta Jackson is undoubtedly one of the 30 most influential people in my first 30 years. Here's to many more years of laughter, hugs, and late night songs with Isabel!

 Mamaw and I at my wedding!
 Mamaw holding Isabel for the first time.
Mamaw and all the great-grandkids (minus Jackson) last Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment