Thursday, October 17, 2013

Los Angeles

Day 18: Laura Coonrod

Although Laura and I lived in Chicago together, we first met in Los Angeles. I had just recently moved to Chicago and was sent to do a training in LA. I'll never forget sitting in a room with complete strangers, being asked to talk openly about my cultural background and history. Can you say, awkward? As we got to know each other, though, I found out that there were a couple other people living in Chicago as well. One was living on the west side, just like me...her name was Laura. We hung out the entire time we were in LA and vowed to get together once we got back to Chicago.

And, we did. Laura and I became very good friends. Not only did we go through the experience of living in a new city, but also the experience of being very much out of our element and working for AmeriCorps. Laura is unlike most people I have ever met. She's the kind of person who would give you the shirt off her back at any time. She's kind, strong, dignified, wise beyond her years, and such a wonderful friend to so many people.

Like a lot of the people I have written about these last few weeks, Laura loves Jesus. She has a heart for women overseas and has been on several mission trips to love on some hurting women. And she's wonderful at it. She reminds me a little of mother Teresa in her actions and love for the sick, the hurting, and even the dying. I could totally see Laura just up and moving to Calcutta someday!

Laura and I built a strong friendship the two years we lived in Chicago. My favorite memories of her were sitting over a good latte, talking for hours. I miss that. We sometimes randomly text each other and say, wanna go get coffee tomorrow?, even though we live hundreds of miles apart now. Oh how I'd love a good latte and some always insightful, encouraging, and sharpening conversation with Laura.

Laura was one of the people I became the closest to while living in Chicago and I still call her a good friend. Because she went through very similar experiences as me, we were able to encourage and even cry with each other as we lived out our time with AmeriCorps. I miss her wisdom in my life!

Thank you, Laura, for randomly meeting me in Los Angeles. Thanks for the coffee dates, the trips downtown to the Soupbox, the millions of cookies consumed at Letizia's Bakery, but most of all...thanks for your friendship. Thanks for being a light in my life. I thank God that he put you in Chicago at the same time as I. I can't wait to see where He continues to lead you!


Laura Coonrod is a special person and a special friend. Everyone could benefit from having a friend like her, I know I have. She is without doubt one of the 30 most influential people in my life!












No comments:

Post a Comment