Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My Mom

Day 24: Joann Cole (aka Mom, aka Meme)

10:28 PM. That's the exact time I called my mom last night to ask her if she could come take care of my sick child last night. 7:00 AM. That's the exact time my mom left this morning to drive all the way up to Fayetteville to take care of my sick child. Now if that's not a great mom, what is? Oh, and she also cleaned our house, did all the laundry, and bought Izzy some new clothes...jealous yet?

I could not talk about influences in my life without talking about my mom. She is the center of our family and we could not function without her. She is also the best Meme in the world to Isabel, Kyleigh, Emma, Ellie, Ryker, and Jackson. All six of her grandchildren absolutely adore her.

My mom has always put us first, throughout our lives. I can remember so many times of driving hours after hours to take Brandon and I all over the country to play ball. I can remember the thousands of times she bought us stuff that we really didn't need but we wanted. No, we weren't spoiled, she definitely taught us to appreciate what we got, but we never, ever went without.

Now that I am a parent, I realize a lot of the parenting skills she has passed on to us. My mom is the "baby whisperer," she always knows how to calm a baby, put a baby to sleep, or just make a baby feel loved. I remember those first few nights as a new mom needing my mom's guidance and support, and confidence that I could be a great mom just like her.

As a kid, I didn't always understand why she did the things she did. Sometimes I wasn't allowed to do something I wanted to. Now, I realize that this was one of the best things she ever did for me. She really taught me that the people you choose to be your friends will help shape your future. As Izzy gets older, I will definitely pick and choose who she hangs out with! I can only imagine the moments when I will hear my mom's voice coming out in me.

My mom has been a huge influence on my life. I know I wouldn't be the person I am today without her. I have a lot of the same qualities as her (I may get some of my feistiness from her too) and I am thankful to have a mom that would do anything for her kids and grandkids.

Mom, you deserve so much more gratitude than I often show you. I am thankful for you and for all that you do for our family. You definitely are the glue that holds our family together. Thank you for loving Jesus and loving us. Thanks for always trying to make a better life for us growing up and for giving us so much more than you had. Thanks for always putting us first!

Joann, Meme, Mom...has been one of the biggest influences in my almost thirty years of life!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for those sweet compliments Shasta! They mean a lot to me & I always wanted to give you guys more than I ever had and to always make sure that you three knew that you were always loved every day of your lives and now I want to make sure my precious grandkids know how much Memee loves them too. Dad and you kids have always been my whole life (and Jazz is included in that) and now I get to add 6 of the most wonderful beautiful sweet loving grandkids to that too! Thanks again, I love you!

    ReplyDelete