Saturday, October 19, 2013

The Founder of Breakthrough

Day 19: Arloa Sutter

Arloa Sutter is the founder and executive director of Breakthrough Urban Ministries. Breakthrough is "a Chicago-based nonprofit that partners with those affected by poverty to build connections, develop skills and open doors of opportunity." Breakthrough works with Homeless men and women and also works with youth in the East Garfield neighborhood. And, Breakthrough was "home" to me for two years while I lived in Chicago.

Arloa started Breakthrough as a place for the homeless to come for hot coffee and some lunch. She then open it up to provide shelter and services to homeless men...and eventually homeless women. After moving to East Garfield Park, she started and youth services program as well. Breakthrough is now a thriving center of hope for so many men, women, and children!

It is no secret that I love Breakthrough. I often talk about it with family, friends, and even my co-workers. My experience at Breakthrough was nothing short of amazing and life changing. I met so many wonderful people through Breakthrough, people that I've already talked about (Andrea, Bill and Marcy) but also people like Arloa...whose selfless and inspired nature led her to create Breatkhrough.

Last night was the Breakthrough Benefit (an annual event aimed to raise money and awareness for the organization) and I had hopes to write this blog yesterday in honor of the benefit and also Arloa, but I wasn't able to, but a day late is okay, right?

I can't say enough about Arloa Sutter. Her heart and passion for Jesus and the "least of these" is immeasurable to most other people. I remember sitting on the edge of my seat listening to her as she spoke at our monthly staff meetings. She definitely has the anointing of God on her. When I think of the words "executive director" and "founder" I immediately think of someone who sits in a big office and doesn't "mingle" with the rest of the staff...but that's not Arloa. She knows all staff by name and takes time to know the men and women in the homeless shelter. I'll never forget my first year at Breakthrough when I got a call from her. She asked me if I would like to go to lunch with her that week. I did, but boy was I nervous. I'm not sure why because sitting with her, chatting about life and about my experience so far at Breakthrough, was one of my most impactful memories during my time in Chicago.

Arloa is also an author (check out her book "The Invisible), a visionary leader, a doctor (holds a doctorate in Ministry), a blogger (her blog is: http://arloasutter.blogspot.com/) and last time I checked, i'm pretty sure she does urban farming and has a few chickens. She is so many things to so many people and I cannot imagine how many lives she has helped changed through her grace, mercy, and the leading of the Spirit. When I think of Arloa, I think to what Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians: ...I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."

Arloa has made it her life's work to love those that some see as unlovable. She has given her life to being a "stronghold for the poor, a stronghold to the needy in distress, a shelter from the storm and shade from the heat" (Isaiah 25:4). And she has shown me what the Christian life is really all about. It's about loving Jesus and loving others. It's about "doing justice, loving mercy, and walking humbly with our God."

My life will never be the same since working for Breakthrough. My passion is Jesus, social justice, and urban ministry. Because of Arloa, Breakthrough has changed thousands of people's lives...including a little farmer girl from Hector, Arkansas.

Thank you Arloa Sutter for being an influence in my life. Thank you for taking time out of your busy life to make time for me back in the winter of 2008. Thank you for following the calling of God on your life and starting Breakthrough. Thank you for showing me and the world what it looks like to love "the least of these."


Funny how little you can know someone but how big of an impact they can make on your life. In the short time that I lived in Chicago, I have written three different blogs on people I met through Breakthrough. That right there is enough to say how much of an influence Arloa has made on my short life. She is unquestionably one of the 30 most influential people in my first 30 years!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment